20 November 2019
What are the schemes?
The UK is planning to leave the European Union (EU), which will mean businesses will have to apply the same customs rules to goods moving between the EU ans UK as they would for the rest of the world. From early September 19, customs intermediaries, traders and hauliers who complete, or intend to complete customs declarations, following the UK’s exit from the EU, can apply for funding for training and IT. From early October 2019, customs intermediaries who currently complete customs declarations on behalf of its clients can apply for funding for recruitment costs. HMRC would encourage eligible businesses to apply. The application window will close on 31st January 2020, or earlier once all the funding is allocated.
What are the grants?
Provide funding for training that provides businesses and their employees will skills to:
- Complete customs declarations or other declarations required to complete customs processes in the UK or EU (such as safety and security declarations).
- Manage customs processes and use customs software and systems.
Provide funding toward purchasing the first year license of a packaged software solution to increase the automation or productivity of your business in completing customs declarations. The funding can also be used:
- To buy hardware that’s needed for the software to run.
- To install and configure the software and hardware.
- For related software training.
Provide funding towards the costs associated with hiring new employees to complete customs declarations or other declarations required to complete customs processes in the UK or EU (such as safety and security declarations), and/or manage customs processes and use customs software and systems. This includes funding for:
- The indirect costs involved with recruitment including (but not limited to) advertising and marketing, application review and interview time, and on-boarding processes.
- The direct gross salary costs of the new employee for the first 3 months of employment only.
Who should apply?
Businesses who are based in, or have a branch in the UK at the point of payment. Businesses may be able to apply for one or multiple grants, but certain requirements must be met depending on which grant they’re applying for.
For more information, please visit the dedicated customs intermediary grant website https://www.customsintermediarygrant.co.uk/ or call the helpline on 028 9041 5471
Latest news filter
Stay up to date with the latest news, business support, funding and events happening locally.