Environmental considerations have become increasingly important for businesses, from ensuring your business complies with relevant legislation, through to improving your environmental performance more generally to reduce environmental impact and unnecessary energy and waste costs.
On this page:
- Sustainable Travel in Devon & Somerset
- Useful Links
Environmental considerations for a business can cover a wide ranging topics depending on the type of business that you run or are planning to start up, from waste disposal through to applicable licenses or permits you might need.
Ensuring your business adopts good environmental and sustainable practices – going beyond simply ensuring you comply with relevant legislation – can bring many business benefits, such as :
- Reduced costs & increased profitability – For example, reducing water, energy and raw materials usage can save money. Recycling equipment and materials could make you money and save on disposal costs.
- Increased competiveness – going further than your competitors to embed environmental responsibility can set you apart from your competitors.
- Long term sustainability and enhanced reputation – taking steps to reduce your environmental impact can increase customer loyalty, employee engagement and even create new investment or market opportunities.
Sustainable travel makes business sense. Investing in sustainable travel can improve a business’ image as a sustainable employer, increase staff physical and mental health and productivity and reduce travel costs. It also immediately impacts a business’ direct environment by reducing congestion and air pollution.
Businesses can use the Travel Devon Toolkit to access free tools, guidance, templates and more to help them promote various modes of sustainable travel at your workplace. If they are new to Travel Planning, they can start with a Travel Audit or Travel Survey; both are freely available on the toolkit and provide a report including advice on next steps. The Toolkit is available for any business.
For businesses in Barnstaple, Exeter and Newton Abbot, the toolkit is also the portal to apply for match funding for promotional events and cycle parking, plus the Travel Devon Toolkit team can offer their time to businesses to help them get started, offer advice and connect them with delivery partners. There is additional support schemes like bus taster tickets, free cycle confidence sessions etc.
Sustrans help organisations develop cycling and walking strategies and implementation plans that are ambitious, achievable and effective. Their website lists information about how to implement cycle/walk to work measures, how to increase stakeholder engagement to enable sustainable travel in your workplace, and information about the National Cycle Network and the routes and infrastructure planned in your area.
- Gov.UK website | Guidance on waste and environmental impact for businesses | Click Here
- The Carbon Trust | Set up by Government to accelerate the move to a low carbon economy by working with organisations to reduce carbon emissions and develop commercial low carbon technologies. It offers advice, footprint measurement and certification | Click here
- Environmental Taxes, reliefs and schemes for businesses | You may get reliefs or be exempt from some taxes, e.g. if: you use a lot of energy because of the nature of your business, you’re a small business that doesn’t use much energy or you buy energy-efficient technology for your business | Click Here
- WRAP | Provides sources of funding, advice and tools to help businesses reap the benefits of reducing waste, developing sustainable products and using resources in an efficient way | Click here
- NetRegs | Sector specific environmental guidance for businesses | Click here
- Environment Agency (EA) | Click here
- Better Business For All (BBfA) | a local partnership between businesses, business support and regulators and across Devon & Somerset. It’s about encouraging more businesses to seek advice from local regulators by highlighting the benefits of regulation to business, without fear of enforcement activity | Click here
- ISO 14001 | The international standard that specifies requirements for an effective environmental management system (EMS). It provides a framework that a business can follow to set up an effective environmental management system | Click here
Business support services specific to environmental considerations are detailed at the bottom of this page.
Business support programmes
- RDPE Countryside Productivity Scheme
- Funding for projects in England which improve productivity in the farming and forestry sectors and help create jobs and growth in the rural economy.
- Read more
- Enhance Social Enterprise - Heart of the South West
- Existing social enterprises will be supported to develop and launch new products and services as well as entering new markets. There will also be support for voluntary and community sector groups that want to transition into trading social enterprises as well as budding social entrepreneurs in need of help to develop their ideas to start trading
- Read more
Events and workshopsSorry, there are currently no resources available.
Get in touch
Contact the Growth Hub team to find out about support available locally.
03456 047 047
Newsletter Sign upClick here to sign up
Get free factsheets
The Growth Hub have licenced access to thousands of practical, factual and digestible reports, guides, factsheets and reference resources for businesses.
Government advice, information and tools for businesses covering a whole range of sectors, issues and themes.
Start or grow your business
- Starting Up in Business
- Brexit Business Resources
- Scale-Up Business Resources
- Developing and growing a business
- Sales and marketing
- Employing people and HR
- Skills and training
- Funding & Grants
- Legal and regulatory
- GDPR for Businesses
- International trade
- ICT and digital
- Tendering and procurement
- Social enterprise
- Relocating to the Heart of the South West area