When starting and running a business there are certain legal and regulatory rules you would need to abide by, some applicable to all businesses and others depend on the nature of your business. It is important to do your research to ensure you are compliant with all your responsibilities.
The Growth Hub works in partnership with the Better Business for All (BBFA) initiative which brings together regulatory bodies in the Heart of the South West area. This short video explains the benefits of the partnership for businesses in Devon and Somerset.
Registering a new business as a sole trader or ordinary partnership you must contact HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)
When starting up, private limited companies (whether limited by shares or guarantee), limited liability partnerships (LLPs) and Community Interest Companies (CICs) must first be incorporated (or registered as a legal entity) with Companies House
If you need to register for VAT or find more information visit
The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) is an independent authority concerned with information rights and data privacy, which provides information and guidance on privacy and electronic communication.
You can also view our extensive GDPR for business resource page:
Law Donut – a legal resource for your business
Business support programmes
- Devon, Plymouth, Somerset and Torbay Trading Standards
- Trading Standards is there to advise businesses on what they need to do to comply with legislation, whether it’s on how to deal with age-restricted products or any other area of trading law. Trading Standards isn’t just about trying to catch businesses out when they get something wrong, it’s about helping you get it right the first time.
- Read more
- Devon and Somerset
- HMRC provide online support for starting or running a business around topics such as business tax, self-assessment, business expenses and record keeping. Support options include webinars (online presentations), e-learning, YouTube videos and factsheets.
- Read more
- Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service
- Advice to businesses to assist with addressing all matters to fire safety. Primarily to ensure compliance with fire safety legislation, and achieve this with a minimum of fuss and cost.
- Read more
- PATLIB UK - Intellectual Property Information Centre
- Plymouth PatLib is based in Plymouth Central Library and is part of a national network of Intellectual Property (IP) Information Centres supported by the Intellectual Property Office. (IPO)
- Read more
Events and workshopsSorry, there are currently no resources available.
Get in touch
Contact the Growth Hub team to find out about support available locally.
03456 047 047
Newsletter Sign upClick here to sign up
Get free factsheets
The Growth Hub have licenced access to thousands of practical, factual and digestible reports, guides, factsheets and reference resources for businesses.
Government advice, information and tools for businesses covering a whole range of sectors, issues and themes.
HSE – Guide to Healthy & Safety
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has developed a range of tools and guidance to help small and medium sized businesses understand health and safety.
Start or grow your business
- Starting Up in Business
- Brexit Business Resources
- Scale-Up Business Resources
- Developing and growing a business
- Sales and marketing
- Employing people and HR
- Skills and training
- Funding & Grants
- Legal and regulatory
- GDPR for Businesses
- International trade
- Digital and ICT
- Tendering and procurement
- Social enterprise
- Net Zero
- Relocating to the Heart of the South West area