Developing and valuing your employees is essential for any growing business. Ensuring that teams can work together and that everybody has the right skills to be effective, from operational to leadership level, is an important and ongoing task for businesses. Getting it right will help you retain staff, reducing employee turnover as well as making your business attractive to new talent.
Investing in the training and development of your workforce can bring a wealth of business benefits, including:
- Increased staff motivation, loyalty and retention
- Improved customer service
- Safer working practices
- Increased productivity
- Employees with increased skills sets can make a wider contribution to your business.
There are many training providers delivering in the Heart of the South West area as well as some specific business support schemes providing skills advice to businesses and funded training to upskill the workforce.
Get in Touch with us today or see business support services specific to skills and training detailed at the bottom of this page.
- Gov.UK | Hiring and Training Staff – https://www.gov.uk/growing-your-business/hire-and-train-staff
- Gov.UK | Apprenticeships, traineeships and internships –
- Gov.UK | Apprenticeship Funding – https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apprenticeship-levy-how-it-will-work?utm_source=Intermediary%20web%20page&utm_campaign=Intermediary
- Gov.UK | ‘Find Apprenticeship Training’ tool for employers – https://findapprenticeshiptraining.sfa.bis.gov.uk/
- Great Business | Employment and Skills – http://www.greatbusiness.gov.uk/employment-and-skills/
- CIPD | The professional body for HR and people development – https://www.cipd.co.uk/
Business support programmes
- Skills Support for the Workforce
- Devon and Somerset
- Funded training to help your business progress - Skills Support for the Workforce (SSW) is a programme developed to upskill employees within small and medium-sized businesses in the Heart of the South West LEP area; Devon, Plymouth, Somerset and Torbay. They provide recognised accredited qualifications and bespoke training courses to enhance your employees’ skills, increase the competitiveness of your business and boost the local economy. SSW is co-financed by the Education and Skills Funding Agency and the European Social Fund.
- Read more
- Enhance Social Enterprise - Heart of the South West
- Existing social enterprises will be supported to develop and launch new products and services as well as entering new markets. There will also be support for voluntary and community sector groups that want to transition into trading social enterprises as well as budding social entrepreneurs in need of help to develop their ideas to start trading
- Read more
- National Apprenticeship Service
- A free service providing information on everything employers need to know when taking on an apprentice as well as help to find the right candidate.
- Read more
- Local Manufacturing Advisory Programme
- Business support service for manufacturing businesses in Devon and Somerset focusing on business strategy, supply chain, innovation and operational efficiency.
- Read more
Events and workshops
Get in touch
Contact the Growth Hub team to find out about support available locally.
03456 047 047
Newsletter Sign upClick here to sign up
Get free factsheets
The Growth Hub have licenced access to thousands of practical, factual and digestible reports, guides, factsheets and reference resources for businesses.
Government advice, information and tools for businesses covering a whole range of sectors, issues and themes.
Start or grow your business
- Starting Up in Business
- Brexit Business Resources
- Scale-Up Business Resources
- Developing and growing a business
- Sales and marketing
- Employing people and HR
- Skills and training
- Funding & Grants
- Legal and regulatory
- GDPR for Businesses
- International trade
- ICT and digital
- Tendering and procurement
- Social enterprise
- Relocating to the Heart of the South West area