What is Better Business for All (BBfA)?
It’s a local partnership between businesses, business support and regulators and across Devon & Somerset to promote local economic prosperity, whilst maintaining public protection. BBfA aims to improve how regulatory services are delivered in Devon & Somerset and to show how working with your local regulators can save you time and money, improve your competitiveness and help you grow your business.
Swimming Pool Safety Webinar and pool safety Guide for pool operators
We have created this resource to help businesses who operate swimming pools in the tourism, leisure and hospitality sector to go through the steps required to make their pool environment safe for customers and also for staff maintaining the pool. The project was funded by The Department for Business Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS).
In addition to these films we have produced a pool safety guide, which expands on the topics covered in these films and provides you with a set of helpful forms. These can be downloaded in Word format for use locally.
- Pool Safety Guide (PDF)
- Appendix 1 Swimming Pool Risk Assessment (docx)
- Appendix 2 Normal Operating Plan Checklist (docx)
- Appendix 3 Emergency Action Plan Checklist (docx)
- Appendix 4 Play Equipment and Swimming Pool Slides – Checklist (docx)
- Appendix 5 Diving Boards & Diving – Checklist (docx)
- Appendix 6 Daily Checklist (docx)
- Appendix 7: Swimming Pool Disinfection – Recommended Levels (PDF)
- Appendix 8 Swimming Pool Log Sheet (docx)
- Appendix 9: Do You Require Poolside Supervision? (PDF)
- Appendix 10 Pool Hire Agreement (docx)
An industry professional Paul Sharples, has worked with Heart of the South West authorities to develop the 6 webinar sessions. These take you through the following core elements.
It is recommended initially that all films are viewed as a complete set, by all pool operatives so they are aware of what must be done to ensure your pool is compliant with the Law and best practice regarding pool safety. Key films can then be revisited as and when a pool manager feels it is helpful to remind staff of their responsibilities. You may also wish to share these training films with any businesses that hire the pool, to ensure they are also aware of these key elements to safe pool operating.
All 6 films are relatively short (under 10 minutes each), hence should take no longer than 1 hour to complete collectively. Subtitles can be switched on if required, using the “CC” button in the video player.
Additional resources on swimming pool safety:
- PWTAG Code of Practice
- HSE on Health and safety in swimming pools
- Royal Life Saving Society UK (RLSS UK)
Who do I speak to?
To seek information and advice on regulations that apply to your business and where to go for further help, contact the Growth Hub on 03456 047 047 or complete our Get In Touch form.
Alternatively, you can contact your local regulator by email as follows :
Contact Information by Local Authority
- East Devon District Council
- Exeter City Council
- Mendip District Council
- Mid Devon District Council
- North Devon Council
- Plymouth City Council
- Sedgemoor District Council
- South Hams & West Devon Borough Council
- South Somerset District Council
- Somerset West and Taunton Council
- Teignbridge District Council
- Torbay Council
- Torridge District Council
- Exeter City Council – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mid Devon District Council – email@example.com
- North Devon Council – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sedgemoor District Council – email@example.com
- South Hams and West Devon Borough Council – firstname.lastname@example.org
- South Somerset District Council – email@example.com
- Somerset West and Taunton Council: Licensing – https://www.somersetwestandtaunton.gov.uk/licensing/
- Somerset West and Taunton Council: Planning – https://www.somersetwestandtaunton.gov.uk/planning/
- Teignbridge District Council – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Torbay Council – email@example.com
- Torridge District Council – firstname.lastname@example.org
Devon, Plymouth, Somerset and Torbay Trading Standards
Devon, Plymouth, Somerset and Torbay Trading Standards provides a range of services to help you develop your business and comply with regulations.
T: Devon – 01392 381381 | Plymouth – 01752 304147 | Somerset – 0300 123 2224 | Torbay – 01803 208025
Commissioned by Devon, Plymouth, Somerset and Torbay councils.
Get in touch
Contact the Growth Hub team to find out about support available locally.
03456 047 047
Newsletter Sign upClick here to sign up
Government advice, information and tools for businesses covering a whole range of sectors, issues and themes.
HSE – Guide to Healthy & Safety
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has developed a range of tools and guidance to help small and medium sized businesses understand health and safety.