Exporting can be a great way to improve your businesses performance. There is a wealth of information and business support available for you which you should take advantage of before making a decision to export.
If you plan to start exporting or importing, you should undertake checks and actions to make sure you comply with the rules and regulations governing exporting and customs for businesses.
See detailed guidance on the Gov.uk pages via this link – Import, Export and Customs for Business
You can use a commercial agent (export agent or overseas distributor) or a freight forwarder (freight forwarding is a service industry that involves moving goods around the world on behalf of importers and exporters) if you don’t want to deal with export procedures yourself.
If you are already exporting and would like to increase your export income there is tailored advice available and you can talk to an international trade expert adviser.
Find out about all the free support from the Department for International Trade here. Alternatively you can get in touch with the Growth Hub team who will be able to talk to you about your business goals and introduce you to a DIT adviser if that’s right for you.
See links at the bottom of the page for business support programmes that can help you export successfully.
Gov.uk | Online exporting advice and guidance – https://www.gov.uk/browse/business/exports
Open to Export | Free export advice for international growth – https://opentoexport.com/
Export Trade Development Programme | A free programme of support helping local businesses in the South West region to boost their export sales – https://www.businesswest.co.uk/export/export-trade-development-programme
Trade and Investment Country Factsheets | Cover the latest statistics on trade and investment between the UK and individual countries Trade and investment factsheets – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
British Chambers of Commerce International Trade | Every Accredited Chamber provides local businesses with access to a range of services to support businesses to trade internationally. See British Chambers International Trade Hub
Business support programmes
- DIT | UK Tradeshow Programme
- Business exporting, or thinking of exporting from the UK can attend UK Tradeshow Programme's selection of supported overseas tradeshows and conferences, and potentially receive grants to offset some costs. The UK Tradeshow Programme provides all successful applicants with training, both about tradeshows in general and also specifically about the event that they applied for.
- Read more
- DIT Internationalisation Fund
- Devon and Somerset
- The Department for International Trade has launched the Internationalisation Fund. Eligible businesses in England could benefit from match-funded grants of between £1,000 and £9,000.
- Read more
- Department for International Trade
- Department for International Trade (DIT) is a Government Department which helps companies in the UK export their products abroad as well as encouraging foreign investment into the country. DIT has a qualified team of experienced international trade advisers that can work with you to help you realise your export potential.
- Read more
- Innovate UK EDGE
- Innovate Edge UK is the Innovation Agency's resource for innovative SME's from any sector who are ambitious to grow further and scale. It complements Innovate UK project funding with intensive, specialist-led support for ambitious businesses.
- Read more
Events and workshopsSorry, there are currently no resources available.
Get in touch
Contact the Growth Hub team to find out about support available locally.
03456 047 047
Newsletter Sign upClick here to sign up
Get free factsheets
The Growth Hub have licenced access to thousands of practical, factual and digestible reports, guides, factsheets and reference resources for businesses.
Government advice, information and tools for businesses covering a whole range of sectors, issues and themes.
Start or grow your business
- Starting Up in Business
- Brexit Business Resources
- Scale-Up Business Resources
- Developing and growing a business
- Sales and marketing
- Employing people and HR
- Skills and training
- Funding & Grants
- Legal and regulatory
- GDPR for Businesses
- International trade
- Digital and ICT
- Tendering and procurement
- Social enterprise
- Net Zero
- Relocating to the Heart of the South West area