Businesses in rural areas of Devon and Somerset face unique challenges regarding connectivity, geography and employing people with the right skills sets to help them grow.
Many of the businesses in the Heart of the South West LEP area are rurally located and as such there are often specific support schemes available for these businesses, alongside support for core agricultural businesses that are traditionally considered to be rural.
Find at the bottom of this page some business support programmes currently available to rural businesses. If you would like help to understand the different business support options that may be available to you, Get in Touch with the Growth Hub team.
USEFUL RESOURCES & LINKS
The Growth Hub has licensed access to 1000s of free digestible reports, factsheet, toolkits and guides on relevant business support topics, such as about networking groups in the rural sector, key contacts within the rural enterprise community, important, specific HSE advice, and information about the rural development programme, amongst others resources. Request resources.
- Plunkett Foundation | Range of support and information to help people within rural communities to set up and run a community co-operative – whether it’s a shop, pub, farm, café, bookshop etc. www.plunkett.co.uk
- WRAP (the Waste and Resources Action Programme) | Works with business and local communities to improve resource efficiency in England and Wales. Provides online resources and financial support to help farm businesses reduce their environmental impact – www.wrap.org.uk/category/role/farmer
- Lantra | The sector skills council for the environment and land-based sector. Provides information about qualifications and apprenticeships, and is responsible for setting and promoting environmental and agricultural National Occupational Standards. Website provides a training search directory and rural industry-specific factsheets – www.lantra.co.uk
- HSE | Farmwise – Your Essential Guide to health and safety in agriculture – http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/hsg270.pdf
Business support programmes
- Countryside Stewardship
- Devon and Somerset
- Financial incentives for land managers to look after their environment.
- Read more
- Prince's Countryside Fund (The) - 1 to 1 Digital Mentoring
- Free 1 to 1 digital mentoring for farming businesses in Dartmoor and Exmoor.
- Read more
- AONB Grants & Support
- Sustainable Development Funds which are aimed at communities, groups and businesses who are looking to develop an activity or service that contributes to the economic or environmental sustainability of the AONB.
- Read more
Events and workshopsSorry, there are currently no resources available.
Get in touch
Contact the Growth Hub team to find out about support available locally.
03456 047 047
Newsletter Sign upClick here to sign up
Get free factsheets
The Growth Hub have licenced access to thousands of practical, factual and digestible reports, guides, factsheets and reference resources for businesses.
Government advice, information and tools for businesses covering a whole range of sectors, issues and themes.
Start or grow your business
- Starting Up in Business
- Brexit Business Resources
- Scale-Up Business Resources
- Developing and growing a business
- Sales and marketing
- Employing people and HR
- Skills and training
- Funding & Grants
- Legal and regulatory
- GDPR for Businesses
- International trade
- ICT and digital
- Tendering and procurement
- Social enterprise
- Relocating to the Heart of the South West area